In implementing the decision of the Heads of State or Government of the European Union in the fight against the COVID-19 the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany has decided to stop –with immediate effect- all non-essential travel from third countries for an initial period of 30 days.
The travel restriction does not apply to:
- all EU citizens (including British citizens) and citizens of the Schengen Associated States, and their family members returning to their ordinary place of residence
- third-country nationals who are long-term residents in Germany (including those with national visa – category D-) returning to their ordinary place of residence
- third-country nationals with so-called “essential functions” as there are:
- Healthcare professionals, health researchers;
- Frontier workers, transport personnel engaged in haulage of goods and other transport staff to the extent necessary (e.g. air-crews);
- Diplomats, staff of international organisations, military personnel and humanitarian aid workers in the exercise of their functions;
- Passengers in transit (including those who return to their home country with consular assistance);
- Passengers travelling for imperative family reasons;
- Persons in need of international protection or for other humanitarian reasons.