Visa for family reunion

14.01.2021 - Article

For your application for family reunion (spouse or same-sex civil union partner) please provide the following documents:

⬜ Two duly completed application forms “Application for a Residence Permit” (please ensure that you sign the form, available at VIDEX or our website

⬜ A valid passport with at least two blank pages & valid for at least another six months (please ensure that your passport is signed)

⬜ Two recent passport photographs according to biometric specifications

⬜ Two Declarations of True and Complete Information in accordance with §55 Residence Act, signed and dated (available at the Embassy)

⬜ A marriage certificate (all foreign certificates need an Apostille of the country of origin unless a member state of the European Union)

⬜ Proof of Residence Permit for the Republic of Cyprus

⬜ Language Certificate A1 (“Start Deutsch 1”) from the Goethe Institute or any other language certificate issued by the 'Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE)' (exceptions are possible)

If your spouse/family member residing in Germany is German national:

⬜ Copy of the passport or ID Card

If your spouse/family member residing in Germany is not German national:

⬜ Copy of the passport with a copy of the Residence permit

⬜ Proof of health insurance valid from date of arrival (German Statutory/National or Private health insurance)

Subsequent immigration of children:

⬜ Marriage certificate of parents

⬜ Birth certificates of children

⬜ Copy of the parents’ passports with a copy of the residence permit

⬜ If applicable – proof of custody from the court / certified consent of legal guardians to travel

⬜ If applicable – acknowledgement of paternity

⬜ If applicable – proof of a valid adoption in process (in the German legal system)

Please note that only complete applications will be accepted. In order to ensure that your application is processed without delay, please submit the above mentioned documents in original and two copies.

Applications must be submitted in person.

Please note that each visa application is reviewed individually. Therefore, the requested documents may vary from one case to another. The Embassy reserves the right to ask for additional documents.

Furthermore, the submission of the above mentioned documents does not guarantee the issuance of a visa. Once a visa has been issued, the purpose of the trip may not be altered.

The German Missions require approximately two to three months to process your visa application. We kindly ask that no status requests on the visa application be made during the first two months. We will notify the applicant on any change of status or progress of the application as soon as possible and whenever the need arises.


Exception to the requirement of German language knowledge

Legislation provides for exemptions to the need to furnish proof of basic knowledge of German:

(a) Exemptions based on the applicant:

- when knowledge of German is obvious (= clearly identifiable knowledge of German when submitting application in person)

- in the case of university graduates with good employment and integration prospects

- when the planned stay in Germany is only temporary

- when re-entering Germany, i.e. if the applicant has previously lived in Germany with a permanent residence permit pursuant to the Residence Act

- if in the long term it is impossible for the applicant to learn a foreign language due to physical, intellectual or mental disability or illness

(b) Exemptions based on the reference person of the principal person entitled:

- if the spouse living in Germany is a national of one of the states listed in section 41 of the Ordinance Governing Residence, or enjoys freedom of movement in Germany, that is, nationals of a member state of the EU (other than Germany) or the EEA states Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein or Switzerland

- in the case of subsequent immigration to join experts, researchers and self-employed persons, if the spouse is in possession of an EU Blue Card, an ICT card, a mobile ICT card or a residence permit for certain researchers (section 18b (2) Residence Act (EU Blue Card), section 19 Residence Act (ICT card), section 19b Residence Act (mobile ICT card), section 18d Residence Act (research), section 18f Residence Act (mobile researchers))

- in the case of subsequent immigration to join highly skilled persons (section 18c (3) Residence Act) or self-employed persons (section 21 Residence Act) provided that the marriage predates the principal person entitled moving their main place of residence to the federal territory

- if immediately prior to being granted a permanent settlement permit or an EU long-term residence permit the principal person entitled had a residence permit pursuant to section 18d Residence Act (research)

- in the case of subsequent immigration to join refugees or asylum seekers, provided that the marriage predates the beneficiary moving their main place of residence to Germany

An additional exemption applies if, due to special circumstances, it is not possible or it is deemed unreasonable to expect the spouse to endeavour to acquire basic knowledge of the German language prior to entering the country.

This applies in particular if language courses are permanently not available in the relevant country or if attending such classes entails a major security risk and if other promising alternatives (for example, using books or online courses) to learn the language and proof thereof are not available.

If you believe that you satisfy the requirements for such an exemption, you must provide relevant proof of the existence of the reason for the exemption when submitting your application.

If you are not sure whether or not one of the exemptions applies to you or what proof is required, you can inquire by describing your situation in an email (info@nikosia.diplo.de).

Top of page